Tuesday, July 26, 2011

In the midst of it all!

Every Sunday, or sometime mid-week I like to catch up on the sermons from my home church back in California. I at times take time to meditate on the scripture from which the message came and pray for my home and that God even here in Chicago would work in hearts the same way. So as I listened to what I heard from the Chaplain and Minister Coates, I thought to myself, that I was sure to see something happen soon of the similar portion. (Specifically speaking to the conflict the Chaplain had mentioned that would probably take place the very same day, even though I was a week behind.) You know, the Word of God, a Word from God, is so powerful to transcend our time because of it's timeless aka eternal truth.

On Thursdays I rotate as a teacher for our outreach ministry C.R.I.B.S., for our teens. Our focus lesson for the next few weeks, I decided, will be on Peace.
1. Peace with God
2. Peace of God
3. A Piece with God

So last Thursday I taught that first lesson. Divinely as the world is run, Jamie, our pastor here at Reborn, preached on the peace of God, giving testimony, sharing the gospel, stressing how fighting on our knees in prayer is the one of the greatest battle that we fight. Being in need, dependent on God who is our King and humbled with a holy fear.

How far from understanding we are. That what faith is we lack. We don't have peace, but rather we take on a calmness. I hope you don't miss that. That when you say you're at peace, you really are; that you not really be saying that you're just calm. Peace can be a trip you know, at may actually make you uncomfortable at times. Make me think of  Philippians 4:7 "And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." And I can say that I have experienced such a peace that has tangled me to tears and laughter simultaneously with a grief that was painfully numbing(if I could somehow try to paint a picture). I'm just saying that "the heart is most deceitful" Jeremiah 17:9.
Now, as to what I was trying to get to.

In light of what I was saying about peace. It seemed that Sunday was completely set up for such a moment as what was to take place... Right after service about 15-20mins. Just as every week seems to presume we adults linger and talk, some of us clean up and mosey about like so. But the kids, the kids play. The smaller one inside running around, the 8-13 pretty much play games or run around outside. But today was different. We began to set up for kids camp for this week. kinda like the VBS ministry for children. And in the midst of cleaning and moving things lil Jaquan runs in and shouts "Jujuan just got hit by a car!" Now everyone for a moment thought he was joking, and as we all began to follow we then heard the screams. Just like a scene from a movie. a kid hit by a car, alive and in shock, taken in an ambulance. So pray for Jajuan, for recovery and peace and that the testimony of how God spared his life will become real.

He is OK. Two fractured bones in his foot/leg. But in that moment. All the words of peace were tested. and in the midst of the chaos. We prayed. me, jamie, michael david and flavio. We prayed for peace, we praised for life, we thanked for mercy. we surrendered the rest. because life doesn't stop for us. and in the wake of spiritual warfare what we must do is pray. So that moments of testing and trials don't distract us and push us further away from the Lord, but rather draw us ever so closer....Like the seed that falls on stony ground or thorny ground.
 Matthew 13:3-9
“Listen! A farmer went out to plant some seeds. 4 As he scattered them across his field, some seeds fell on a footpath, and the birds came and ate them. 5 Other seeds fell on shallow soil with underlying rock. The seeds sprouted quickly because the soil was shallow. 6 But the plants soon wilted under the hot sun, and since they didn’t have deep roots, they died. 7 Other seeds fell among thorns that grew up and choked out the tender plants. 8 Still other seeds fell on fertile soil, and they produced a crop that was thirty, sixty, and even a hundred times as much as had been planted! 9 Anyone with ears to hear should listen and understand.”

No comments:

Post a Comment