Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Behind His Eyes pt.1

I was on my way downtown from the house; my train stop: Kedzie-Holman. I see a man who I would call a regular. That means, regular people I see who peddle, sell loose cigarettes or choose to politely ask each and any person who might notice them, for money. I don't often bet on those who do to remember me as much as I remember them. So if he did, he acted like he didn't, which is a reasonable act, I think, at least if I had to fathom being in the same position. It's hard to be fortunate, don't you think. We who not only have Christ, but life, and are privileged with loose cash (though most of us would claim that we have none) seem to often be in a dilemma. One that is hard. Some days we empathize, some days we sympathize, some days we just simply despise these people who we may think(though not all) have chosen to get themselves in such a situation, that is, if the situation had not gotten them. But that's not the focus here.

There are sometimes things I admire about the homeless or those who don't have enough and are forced into the humble position of asking (even peddling or begging). Some have intricately crafted stories of their situation and the base root of why they need that change or dollar. Some of these folks have to lie because they don't remember or have been on drugs to long to care how they get it, but just know they need to. Some have real issues, like mental illnesses or other medical problems. Some are just in a hurry to not have to go back to where they slept the night before, because many who are on the street are often beat up, raped, pushed around, stolen from, deceived and more. Anyone who is not intrigued about these lives, i hope you will come to meet and learn more of people who fall into this category.

So this man approaches me, I recognize him. He walks up and says "hey brotha, I don't mean to waste your time, I'm going through a rough time and I know it's not your problem it's mine but..." And at that moment I cut him off, extending my hand with the three one dollar bills I had in my pocket and said, "here bruh, it's alright, I recognize you, I remember your story." "Thank you bruh." he said while I shook with approval. "Naw thank you. Man last year was ok for us until my girl got locked up. now i gotta take care of my two lil girls and i aint got enough. i work for this catering company, and last year..." he was swiping his hands as if he was filtering through dolla bills, "...during the summer, good, the money was flowing. Birthdays, weddings, bar-mitzvah and such. But in the winter, ain't enough goin on, and now I'm out here, gotta ask people for money."

But this wasn't all he said. What he said next actually shocked me.

1 comment: