Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The "Hunger Strike" guy

Picking up where we left off, with me walking away as Ho Dap rode away on the bus, I walked further down the street and see a bunch of white tents set up in this open square. My curiosity peaked. "Let's go check it out Roc, shooooot, I already got the camera out." So I did. I walked down to the streetlight and crossed during a red light of course. What can I say, it's Chicago. (The city of professional J-walker) and I'm getting pretty good myself.

Back to the moment tho.

I was walking towards the tents trying to figure out what was going on and I had seen a man sitting on one of the benches holding a sign. It read "HUNGER STRIKE!", and I was like "Ouwwww!" so I walk up towards him to see what this was all about... I didn't understand everything on the sign and thought to myself that maybe I missed something in the paper ( I read everyday now) or that something was happening somewhere around the world that I haven't heard yet.

I walked up this man sitting there and asked him "What is the 'Hunger Strike'?" hoping to get answer that might further enlighten me that day. But, he just looked at me and motioned with his palm facing upward to his sign. I was kind of puzzled and thought to myself "I know you ain't deaf". I asked again, "what's up with the sign?", and again he lifted his palm up directing my eyes to his sign. So I asked "Is it OK if I take a picture?" Again he used the same gesture. So I took the picture and told him I'd look it up and blog about it. By this time I really wall full of curiosity and wanted to know why he was on a talking strike too, or maybe that it took too much energy to talk because he was hungry. Either way when I got home I looked up what's been going on in the world of hunger striking. I found out that there's all kinds of things going on in 2011 as far as people doing a hunger strike. From trying to protest against criminal organizations, to cruel prison treatment fighting for due process, the economic crisis and various justice issues around the world....even tho I do not know the man or what he was participating for...at least he was doing something. Some people say that the homeless out here do any and all kinds of crazy things...I say "true".."and?"

2 comments:

  1. Always makes me smile. Always makes me think. You're quite a unique individual, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks mike lee...yo,the pictures there now too...imagine the look i gave.

    ReplyDelete