Monday, November 29, 2010

The Survey (Pt. 1)

Say what you will but this is just an analysis of things I have seen, heard, or witnessed during my time at MBI...

Somehow, this semester has had much to do with relationships, love, marriage and dating as a subject that has not only been taught, preached and inquired of, but also talked much about within the halls, dorms, outside areas, around our campus and in conversations between most of us (students) around the city.
Intrigued by all that i had seen and heard so far, after watching many "couples", "relationships", these young men in "pursuit" of these young ladies and these young ladies who unquestionably long to be "pursued". I became curious of a few things that I wanted to examine further. This survey is a result of one of those things. This is the beginning....

As a young man who watches people, I often wonder "what are they thinking?", "why would they do that?" just like most people do. (What can I say, I'm an individual)...but as I thought to myself I also wondered if I would go about such things the same way...Of course not right! Yea, that's what most of us would say. Without going into a rant on my own life and personal experiences, lets just say that I believe that many young men and women are misguided and unprepared for relationships; Christians and non-Christians alike. I asked myself whether or not our pursuit of women are done in the correct manner and whether or not desire, interest, or intention was enough. Is Love enough? and do we or should we love this "particular one" before we do pursue her. How, when and why?........ right?

But then I had to step back and look and said, "what about them, are they ready?, are they ready? to be loved? to be led?.... Do they even truly know what Love is? and if so, How do they know that a man Loves them?

I then asked maybe 10-18 ladies at my school the question, "How do You know, that a man Loves you?" Needless to say i heard no answer the same. Thus my curiosity was agitated and I could not shake the idea that "maybe they've never thought about this" or "maybe they don't know" and Yes this, this was the beginning of my survey. I decided that maybe I should write these down and try and see from their perspective, to generate thought within them, so I and they too would search to see, look to find out. What it means to be loved by a man. and How? what exactly does that look like? and is there a right answer? well stay tuned and we'll see what we get.

Just so you know, I've surveyed well over 120 women...Mostly from my school campus, some on the L-train, buses, here in Chicago, back home via email and phone call. The majority age range for about 85% fall between 18-25, one 17yr old, and the rest, we'll just call older and wiser. No this was not a professional survey, it just kinda came together. but I did it, and now I'm writing about it. All answers are anonymous. But I'll share a few things I've heard along the way...

This can not be overlooked. I hope to generate thought and talks about this so that we might be prepared better and seek out to better prepare ourselves, young men and young women. because our "idea" of things just might be off right now... but I'll let you decide.......stay tuned...

Thanks to all the ladies who daringly agreed to take this survey even before they knew the question...you've helped me more than you know. and yourselves for that matter...I Hope and Pray!

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad that I helped in some way. I don't remember my answer lol. And I have to be honest I don't wanna read about your findings. Not because I'm not interested in your blog or your thoughts. It's just right now I am surrendering my desire to be married to God. Right now God does not want me in a relationship and reading your survery findings might make me sad. But keep on sharing your thoughts with us Delroy!

    ReplyDelete