Wednesday, May 11, 2011

...and God's workin ova there

Two Saturdays ago another great day took place. Me, Korey, and Ben went to an all-star high school basketball game between the west and the south side prep school here in Chicago. The game was at DePaul University just a few stops from my school. The best things was that our young guys came with us. On Thursday nights me Korey and Frank do ministry on the West Side of Garfield Park called C.R.I.B.S. so it was great to have them with us...let me fill you in just a little.
On Thursdays usually my partners and I show up at the Church (Reborn Community Church, Pulaski&Wilcox) between 6-630pm. Sometimes our high schoolers are already there but sometimes just at the park up the street or on the way. We mostly spend these evenings hanging out at the Church, nothing too formal, not even our Bible lessons. We eat, play cards, talk, or whatever there is to do(as long as were spending some real time together). Foosball, four square, dodge ball, round robin(ping pong game), basketball, ANYTHING! Our goal is always to Love God and Love others and the preach the Gospel. We want to be primarily relational, we DO NOT want to just start another program. So after this 1 1/2 - 2 hours down time, we get to a short lesson usually no longer than 20mins. So there's your preview of how Thursdays go. Now Saturday.
I started that morning meeting with Jamie(the pastor) and we just prayed for some time, then we talked for a little while. I appreciate that we can do that too(were a pretty small Church). I think the high school guys were suppose to be there around 11am but it was almost 1230 before they came...can you say CPT? anybody? hahahaaaa
So I took Five of the guys back to school with me on the train. At my school we were having a carnival that day too. We did some bungy jumping, got icee and whatever else was going on this campus. Then we headed out to the game. The game was good and those kids on the court were big as heck. Dunking on each other and throwing oops and whatnot. We had a good time and I drove all the guys back at 9pm since it was late and we cough*cough*couldn'ttakethetraingot kickedoffcough*cough* ahhahaha dont tell nobody tho...it was an odd moment, made for laughs and memories, that's fa sho.
We love young people out here, and have no greater joy than to be a part of their lives. Ill put up some pic again soon. Its my last week of school then i'm out here all summer. I just want to spend all this time at church and with my boys you know. Praise God for what he does with us. Otherwise there's no telling what kinda mess we'd still be in.

No comments:

Post a Comment