Friday, May 13, 2011

The Weekend Home (Surprise!) pt 1

Let me tell you just a little bit about my surprise appearance home for mothers day weekend.
Every four years or so my birthday and mothers day fall on the same date, its like having a new holiday...we'll call it Ocho de Mayo! Yea! that sounds good to me too. So here it is.
Me and my sister decided that I would come home to surprise my mother in February. Only a handful of people knew because they needed to. My sister, brother, two best friends, pastor and director of women's ministry. Originally I wanted to bring a special message for my Cali Mountain View's annual Mother's Day luncheon & tea. My pastor said it would be OK as long as I got everything straight square with who was in charge. So I did, but instead of bringing a formal message, I was allowed to do a special tribute through poem for my mom and the other mothers present.
Now, I have not been home since summer of 2010 which would make this the longest I've been away from home thus far. I knew my mom wanted me to be home for this particular weekend if it were at all possible. Which my sister and I played perfectly that it would not be. You see, school finals started the following week and I had to let my mother know that studying was of the most importance. That along with working and getting ready to move out of the dorms you know (the end of the semester brings chaos). Anyway, my sister Unique, brother Brian and even my Dad(my Sr.) played the surprise really well. How'd it go right? I know you are itching to know.
I flew in Friday evening and my sister snatched me from the airport with all joy and excitement. It was a great moment to see her face. She took me to one of my best friends house (Chad) and then parted until the luncheon. Me and my boy caught up some, we watched the Lakers give a game away disappointingly, I kissed my godson  hos older brother and my boy's fiance. We  played NBA 2k10 because I owed him a whoopin 2 outta 3 that night. The next morning he paid me back in racquet ball by beating me 3 games by 2 points...(I'll be back CJ don't even trip). After he swung me to the barber and i got hooked up rt before he dropped me at the church.

I hadn't been to the new Church campus yet since they have moved while I've been away here at school so I wanted to make sure I didn't run into my mother. I was met by Lady Glencamp and she took me to where I needed to be. I waited until I got the cue, had to make sure my mic was working alright also. Behind closed doors I began the poem, about five lines through I opened the doors and began walking towards the front. She and my grandma thought my voice was a recording and hadn't noticed that I was there until I was standing on the stage.

"AAAaaaaaHHHhhhhh!!!"....yep...that's what mama did.... and from there the weekend was set. I finished the poem. We stayed until the end of the luncheon and took family picture afterwards. Then came the festives....TBC

1 comment:

  1. THE BEST MOTHER'S DAY YET!!!! THANKS TO MY BEAUTIFUL CHILDREN. WHAT A BLESSING! (Now, I don't know how you are going to top this, but I will love to see you try. Mama's love.)

    ReplyDelete