Monday, June 13, 2011

H.O. D.A. to the P.

Do not let the Title fool you!
Ho Dap is his name and emceeing is his game, message moving is his frame and lifting spirits is his fame.
I could tell that freestyle rapping is something he did on a regular basis as he meets people in the streets of Chicago everyday. That's what he did for me. So let me introduce you to the day, of what I call a God ordained/providential meeting that took place, i met the now famous (in my eyes) HO DAP!

If I can remember correctly, and I'm sure that I do, it was a Sunday afternoon heading into the evening and I knew that I just was not going to make it to Church, so unfortunate. I had done something earlier that day helping someone out, I cannot remember who, and by the time we had made it back around service at Reborn had already started. I had planned to join friends on the North side for dinner that day so I decided that I would take my camera and take a walk through the city towards Clark and Lake "L" stop and catch the line from there. Standing on State St. just after crossing Wacker Dr. and looking into the crowd it seemed as if there were thousands of people moving at one time. I said to myself "Self", but Myself didn't answer (musta been distracted), so i said again "Self!", Myself said "huh, uh..yea w-sup", so i said "Ima take a picture, this my look cool"....so I did lol. It was then that I realized that there was an older man looking in my direction and had seemed to be staring directly at me.


The picture I was trying to take(kinda caught a piece of Dap on left, his shirt)...
...and the one I didn't realize that caught Ho Dap(in the orange shirt)

As I continued on my stride down State St., Dap, orange shirt,with a bottle in his hand and arms folded, was staring at me the whole time as I moved closer in the direction where he stood. The leery look on his face spoke to me, you know those times when you play out a scene in your mind based off what you're looking at; yea I did that. All I heard was "WHAT SO YOU THINK YOU WERE JUST DOING!" and of course I have resolved in my mind that in the worst case scenario that I would have to claim self defense for hitting this frantic man who got the wrong impression of what I was doing...Stupid me though...It actually went more like this
Dap - "So you professional, novice, beginner or just like taking pictures?"
Me -  "Just taking pictures, my camera is fairly new so I'm just messin round with it. I was trying to capture all the people in that space right there because it looked like a thousand people walking right there"
He asked if I were taking pictures for school, i said no; we exchanged a few more words and he eventually asked me if I liked hip-hop...I almost threw a thizz face at my dude...instead I just answered "yea". IMMEDIATELY he started goin HAM with the rhymes. He switched  back and forth between different styles while naming off the rappers before he did so. He'd throw out T.I.'s name and then switch the flow then Wayne and switch the flow then Drake and switch the flow...and he watnt bad either...(yea I said watnt because that's how I talks, ye' diiig- n my cousin Jamel voice (shout out TVJ) ).
When he was done he asked me what I thought and I told him that he was tight. Truly I was impressed. I asked him if he was from Chicago and he said no, but then he said he moved to Chicago at a young age so, "yea". Dap said he was 21 or 23 in 1966 that would put him around 60+yrs. He asked me if I emcee but I said not really that much these days. He asked if i was from Chicago and I said no. After learning that I was from Californ-i-a he asked why I would trade that for Chicago. So once I told him that I came for Moody, his reaction turned the course.

*well that's time, so if you want the rest look out for part two*

HOLLA!

1 comment:

  1. "and of course I have resolved in my mind that in the worst case scenario that I would have to claim self defense for hitting this frantic man who got the wrong impression of what I was doing...Stupid me though...It actually went more like this"
    My favorite part! I'm loving this bro!

    ReplyDelete